Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Blog 5 - Moth and Flame

Have you ever wondered why we do what we do, or why we don't? If it is justified by reasoning, then we probably don’t have to think too much but what if there is no justification. For instance, consider boozing, I mean whatever we drink, beer, whisky, vodka or any liquor, we know it is going to harm us in some way like spoiling our diet or liver or something but still we do it anyway. Also smoking, we know it will create complications later but we do it anyway. Mostly any bad habit. Habits are something that has no logical reasoning to justify. However, I am not going into details about the how and what I would talk about why.

Consider a situation where you love something, be it a hypothetical situation. Love comes in different forms, some people love money, some love stuff that they own, be it a vintage car or anything, why is that. A human brain is evolved to find affection and peace or stability in things beyond explanation. We love someone no matter how lively or toxic the relationship is but again we do it anyway as it makes us feel good or miserable that depends on the comfort our minds. This is nothing to do with heart; a human body is only good as the brain. Every feeling that we have is an electric pulses mixed with some chemical reactions in our brain closely synced with the subconscious part of our mind that makes us feel good about something as our mind relates it to something that we have embedded into our thoughts from past or from what we believe or even what we have read somewhere irrespective of that being true or false.

Ok, let me tell you a story that gave me the idea of writing this blog. It was a nice cold weekend’s evening, me and some friends were having drinks on the patio. We had lit up a few lamps and our discussion was revolving around random topics. I noticed insects coming towards the oil lamps, I started wondering why the insects would be attracted toward the flame. After a couple of drinks, we decided to call it off but I forgot to light off the lamps they kept burning the whole night. In the morning I saw a moth dead near a lamp. I somehow tried to picture the incident from the moth's eyes.

This is hypocritical but pretty imaginative.

As a moth, I was flying around in the dark somehow this bright light caught my attention. It was dark and silent, I approached this light to see a flame. It was bright and I found serenity in her warmth, just being close to her felt wonderful. I somehow gathered the courage to talk to her. I asked her what was her name she replied that she is The Flame. I told her that it feels like heaven to just be near her, to which she warned me to stay at a distance as she tends to destroy and burn anything that comes close to her. I was furious to hear that, I started wondering how something so bright and soothing can be so destructive. I wanted to feel her, I wanted to touch her, I wanted to tell her that I’m insanely smitten with her. Somehow I told her what I felt, but she replied that if I would go any further near her I might get burned or even die. We talked and talked for long but the thought of being close to her never left my mind. I gave in to the temptation and told her that I’m going to hug her, she was equally attracted to me but also scared of destroying me. I took the leap and went closer to hug her. I could feel my body burning my wings turning to ashes but I finally hugged her and it never felt so good, worth dying for...

Now back to reality,

Looking at the died moth, its hands were in such a way that it did die hugging the flame. So why did he do that, why did he sacrificed his life just to be closer to the flame for just once and what the hell is it to do anything with us, us all. Well as I see it, we too give in to our emotional side as it feels heaven like, be it for once. We know it’s going to destroy us in a way but having the pain of content is worth every moment. But it is for us to decide if we got to take that leap or just live and perish with time. It is about the beliefs that we have, it can be a test, however, this scenario cannot just merely stick to something in a reverse sense, one can use the situation to stay motivated and achieve extraordinary goals in life.

Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment